Re: Suggestions

now we're really getting into personal preferences. i personally
HATE having one program do everything, because it ALWAYS ends up
being a) bloated and b) buggy.
also, there is a very very complicated issue when it comes to UI
and functionality. for example, one person thinks Pan is the
bomb, another thinks Netscape's news reader is the best. One
person loves ICQ's UI, another Jabber, a third MSN Messenger.

the coders have to decide what sort of UI to use. if youre just
making an email client, you have to make this decision once.
if you want to integrate everything, you make this decision a
once for each application. the end result is almost invariably
that nobody is satisfied.

IMVHO i personally feel these jack-of-all-trades applications
are wasted effort. they will never be as good as the individual
specialized apps, and they have at least so far, never been very
successful, being either bloated or buggy or both.

Furthermore, i see a philosophical problem: isn't the OS+XFree
your application, and each application, ICQ, Balsa, etc, the
plugin? what, fundamentally, is the difference? cross-application
(or cross-plugin) transparent communication.

therefore i think getting cross-application communication (drag
and drop, cut and paste, etc) to function perfectly would be the
ideal goal, which should please everyone and bring about all the
functionality that a plugins-for-one-big-app approach would.
without the bloat and bugs and UI issues.