Re: Folders

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Frederick Ros wrote:
> > Looking at balsa settings there is a Filters entry.. The dialog box
> > allows to create some filters, and to move incoming mail, for example,
> > in some folders , based on subject/body/.. etc..
> >
> > It seems that only the dialog box is implemented right now as I can
> > figure how to create folders...
> >

> Ah, OK, you can ignore what I just said then....
>
> I don't know who implemented the filter stuff, but I don't beleive there
> has been any contact from them on the subject for some time, so I guess
> that development of that is not going anywhere at the moment - to be
> honest I've never really looked at the filter stuff, so I have no idea how
> far along it is.
>
> Personally I use procmail to sort my mail.

I was actually thinking about this today... it may be some time before
there is true PGP/GPG support. It would be nice if you could define a
filter for outgoing messages as well, so that you could filter outbound
email through a program which would do the encryption work. This is how
PINE can support PGP, via the use of the program pgp4pine which is simply
a PINE filter.

Basically, you define "outbound" filters. When you send mail you can
select a filter to use (including none). It also allows for a matching
inbound filter... if you see "ABC" text, then filter it through
"XYZ" commandline. So if you see "-----BEGIN PGP", then filter it through
"/usr/local/bin/pgp4pine -d -i _TMPFILE_" (_TMPFILE_ is replaced by PINE
with the name of the actual temp file used).

This kind of support would be a good idea, in my opinion, even after we
get true integration with PGP/GPG. It could also allow for manual
filtering of messages (perhaps filters to semi-automatically complain
about spam, etc.).

I really gotta get my dev machine back up and running right...

--
Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan@windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688