Balsa build blows up

Hi all...
	Well, I'm having this same problem with several things, and thought
that since it first happened compiling balsa, I'd ask here first.
	When I'm running configure, it fails with:

checking for GTK - version >= 1.1.12... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed. In the latter case, you
*** may want to edit the gtk-config script: /usr/bin/gtk-config
configure: error: GTK not installed

GTK "IS" installed!!! if I do an verify with RPM I gert
rpm -qa | grep gtk

gtk+-devel-1.2.0-2
gtk+10-1.0.6-4
gtk+-1.2.0-2
gtk-engines-0.5-8

	So why can't balsa configure find it?????
	Gettin pretty frustrated!

	Any guidance on this will, as always, be greatly apreciated!

	thanks!

		Ric