Re: art.ubuntu.com nearly ready ...

> So I'll be setting up a location (FTP or SSH) where the site admins can
> upload artwork. Is that basically how you do it as well? How do you deal
> with thumbnails, are they made manually too? Also, the people who submit
> artwork originally, they just give a URL right, so they must have
> uploaded it somewhere else first? (you said you were working on this
> though)

Yes, thumbnails are manual too (notice all the theme thumbnails are
consistent in art.gnome.org categories).

Hopefully in the next few weeks we should have the ability to upload
directly to art.gnome.org, but at the moment, you have to have somewhere
else to host the submission.

> The way the different resolutions are managed also still seems a bit
> magical too me. I guess you just send a number to the download file
> which then uses that to get the right filename out of the database,
> right? So different resolutions are not stored in different directories.

Background resolutions are kept in a seperate table, so each background
resolution has its own ID, and is associated with an entry in the main
backgrounds table. At the moment, all backgrounds are kept in the same
directory, but I would like to add some new categories soon, and have been
thinking about splitting the backgrounds up into different directories.
I'm not too sure how best to do this yet, but currently, all the
backgrounds are prefixed with the category name (GNOME- or OTHER-) and
postfixed with the resolution (e.g. _1024x768, _800x600).

-Thomas