[Gimp-user] selective jpeg compression

Hi all,

An issue I commonly come up against is getting appropriate definition in an image saved for the web.

In particular, I often have images where most of the image could easily be saved at a high compression ratio,
but selected portions, particular things like peoples' faces, need better definition and less compression.

Does anyone have any tricks that might help with this?  It would be really cool to have a plug-in that would
allow one to use a selection tool and then have two compression ratios...

Thanks,

Gary