[Shotwell] Shotwell crashes when importing with "Copy Photos"

Lucas Beeler lucas at yorba.org
Fri Apr 26 18:56:57 UTC 2013

Hi Grant,

You're the only person who's ever reported having this problem, and --
unfortunately -- it looks like you've been having it for a while too, given
that we sent some messages back-and-forth about this six months ago. Out of
curiosity, have you re-installed your operating system between then and
now? If you haven't, it might be something to consider. There may be
something about the configuration mapper on your machine that is just
broken. Other than advising that, there's little more we can do on this
end. You very helpfully submitted stack traces and log files late last year
and, upon examining them, it was clear that the problem occurred deep
inside of the GSettings-to-GConf mapper (gconfsettingsbackend). This might
be an issue for you to take up on their mailing list or Bugzilla. In
Shotwell, we use GSettings in way wholly compliant with GSettings best
practices. Another place you might want to bring this up is on a Gentoo
mailing list. Specifically, I'd ask the Gentoo packagers why they're using
a GSettings-to-GConf mapper, because GSettings is designed as an evolution
over GConf and should have no relation to it whatsoever. This is discussed
in the GNOME Goal Blueprint Paper on GConf to GSettings Migration here:
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/GSettingsMigration.

Take care,
Lucas