[Shotwell] Path of a picture

Adam Dingle adam at yorba.org
Thu Apr 12 21:20:20 UTC 2012

On 04/11/2012 05:39 PM, oliver wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 03:35:50PM -0007, Adam Dingle wrote:
>> Oliver,
>>
>> the Extended Information window (View->Extended Information) will show you the path of any photo.
> [...]
>
> It does not show anything.
>
> Maybe, because I used not copying but only "linking" into the database??

That's odd.  Select a photo, then choose Photos->Extended Information.
In the resulting dialog, the Location: field is empty?  Are other values
(File size, Original dimensions and so on) also empty, or do they show
values?  Can you send a screenshot of the Extended Information window to
shotwell at yorba.org?

>> Version 0.12 does have one new capability in this respect: when you choose
>> Show in File Manager in 0.12, Nautilus (but not other file managers) will open
>> a window showing the containing directory and will highlight the actual file.
> I use wmii window manager on my Arch box.
> On my Ubuntu box (old install) I have gnome, but there
> shotwell is outdated.
>
> So something that just gives me the path in a way that can be copied cia
> X11-mechanisms would be fine.
>
> And ofte I work with the shell and start software this way.
> So e.g. just copy-and-paste the path via LeftMouseButton-select/copy
> and MiddleMouseButton-insert would be nice.
>
> Also fine would be, if I could drag a file from the overview window into
> a shell window and the path will be inserted into the shell, as if typed by hand.
> (At least with old shotwell versions 0.7.x this even does not work in Gnome.)

Yes, we agree: it would be nice if you could copy (or drag) photos out
of Shotwell, and it would also be nice if copying (or dragging) a photo
to an application like gedit or gnome-terminal would copy the photo's
path.  See http://redmine.yorba.org/issues/1098 , and also the
discussion at http://redmine.yorba.org/issues/3451 .

adam