[Shotwell] any news on multi-tag select?

Adam Dingle adam at yorba.org
Fri Apr 6 19:55:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Colin Law wrote:
On 6 April 2012 19:26, Adam Dingle wrote:
> Dougie,
>
> thanks for sending us your Shotwell database and a video demonstrating the
> problem.  Here's what I think is going on.  When you were burned by bug
> http://redmine.yorba.org/issues/4925 in the Shotwell prerelease, Shotwell
> flattened your hierarchical tags - and then wrote those flattened tags to
> the photo files (you must have had metadata writing enabled).  Even if you
> restore an old copy of your photo.db, the flattened tags are still in the
> photo files.  So when Shotwell starts up, it reads those tags from the
> files, adds them to its database and displays them in the sidebar.  This is
> entirely expected behavior.

That does not seem to fit the facts as a bit earlier Dougie said that
he had moved .shotwell out of the way so that it would reimport the
files (in place if I understood correctly) and that this is
re-building the tags. That suggests that the photos have the
hierarchical tags still in place.

True, though perhaps the photos have both the hierarchical and non-hierarchical tags.  In any case, if Dougie is unsure about which tags are stored directly in the photo files, it's not hard to find out - just run 'exiv2 -pa' on any photo file and it will dump out all the EXIF/IPTC/XMP metadata.  Dougie, if you'd like to do that and post the output here we'd be happy to comment.

adam