[Shotwell] Portrait Thumbnails Stretched to Landscape Dimensions in Overview

Joseph Bylund joseph.bylund at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 02:26:28 UTC 2012

Clinton,
To go way back in time here, I _think_ I may have diagnosed this issue.

I occasionally use my own raw->jpg developer, and for some reason I
decided I wanted it to always output jpeg files without any orientation
information.  I believe this decision was originally linked to some
other program not respecting this information when displaying jpeg
files.  My naming scheme is such that shotwell will (always, sometimes?)
detect the pair of files as a raw+jpeg pair (which is great because they
are) but it seems to pull the exif info from one file, I assume the raw,
even when it is displaying the jpeg.  Thus, when I have already applied
the translation to the jpeg it "double translates" (yes I do strip the
"Orientation" field from the exif (using exiftool).

Does that make sense.  Is my converter breaking some accepted practice
by applying the translation and stripping the orientation field (I'd
think not, because in my opinion I should be able to have it draw a
square smiley face for every input raw file if I want it to).

Let me know what other information I can provide (I won't delete my
database this time).

-Joe
Linux poseidon 3.0.0-17-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Thu Mar 8 20:45:39 UTC
2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

shotwell    0.12.1-2~oneiric1

--
Joseph Bylund