Re: Dutch Tax software violates the LGPL (Glib/GTK+)

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Brian Cameron wrote:

> application makes use of LGPL/BSD licensed code.  You mention below that
> it uses Glib and GTK+.  Is this a complete list of LGPL/BSD licensed
> code used by the program?

http://download.belastingdienst.nl/belastingdienst/apps/linux/ib2009_linux.tar.gz

The complete list they mention:
- autopackage
- gsoap
- GTK+
- libjpeg
- nsis
- OpenSSL
- ZLIB
- WxWidgets

> Note that the LGPL license is designed such that modules like Glib
> and GTK+ can be used by non-free applications.  So, it is acceptable
> to use them in non-free programs.  Many third-parties (such as Adobe
> Reader, RealPlayer, etc.) provide non-free programs which link against
> libraries like Glib and GTK+, and there are no licensing issues with
> doing so.

True, but they probably like dynamically, aka to system available
libraries. This program is a statically linked as a binary thing. I
thought the LGPL prohibited this usage?

Stefan