Re: Is Meson on the horizon?

On Fri, 2017-07-28 at 12:54 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
[…]

Maybe we could try having build file for Meson alongside the autotools
files. Patches would be welcome. Someone might want to work in a branch
for a while until it works. I suggest starting with glibmm.

The GStreamer folk built their Meson build alongside the Autotools build in
master rather than a separate branch. The Autotools was the official build,
but having the Meson build being constructed in master got (at least in my
view) more input from more people.

They also created a build super-project that pulled in all the libraries via
git submodules and then built all at once. This helped a lot with ensuring
always using a consistent set of libraries for people building from source.

I could be inveigled upon to get involved in building a Meson build for
glibmm, gtkmm, etc. but I cannot get stuck in till September.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel winder ekiga net