Re: Removing disabling of exceptions/properties/signal-handlers

On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 09:51 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> For a couple of years, gtkmm (via glibmm) has had build-time options to
> reduce code size by removing some not-often-used API. This is used on
> Mameo (for instance on the Nokia N900) and on some other consumer
> devices.
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtkmm-tutorial/unstable/chapter-optional-api.html.en
>
> I suspect that this will soon not be significantly useful on the latest
> hardware. Is there any objection to removing some of these options. That
> would reduce the ifdefs in applications code and make maintenance of
> gtkmm easier.
>

> I doubt that we can remove the no-exceptions build because disabling
> exceptions is still very popular, mostly out of habit, and is often
> enforced by awkward hand-built build systems.

I've talked to the company that was using this. It doesn't look like
they will need this feature in future. So, if there are still no
objections, we will remove _all_ the build-time options to disable API.

However, it's too late in the cycle to do this for the next stable
release. But afterwards we can start stripping out those ifdefs:
Hopefully we can write a script to do it.

www.openismus.com