Re: Query whether a thread is running

andras toth schrieb:
Hi Klaus,

Thanks for clarifying it. I need to know whether the thread is already
running, because I use threads to fetch content from a server when the
user clicks on a button. And if the button is clicked again whilst the
previously started thread is not finished yet, I want to return
without doing anything. On the other hand, if no fetching thread is
actually running, I start a new one. And I would prefer not to put a
join on the actually running thread, before starting a new one,
because then the user interface would hang in case of a second
request.

Well,

I personally would just start and use one single thread throughout the whole application's lifetime in this case. Also I would rather use messages between threads, this makes your life with threads much easier.

With this in mind, I can think of three possibilities how to handle your situation:

1) disable the button as long as a server request is pending
2) send multiple asynchronous messages to the worker thread that executes these messages one by one and sends back the answer 3) maintain a flag telling you in your main application whether your worker thread has already finished the server request

Klaus