card game & Gtk::Layout little help

Hi all i just started in gtkmm and i want to write a simple card game. So to do this i will be need any widget/method or whatever to draw 'pictures' in window - this is n/p for me, but i want to have connect that 'images' with any slot/singal to handle mouse events. How i should do this what class i should use etc ??
About Gtk::Layout, can anyone point to me or write a simple example that will show me how to use that class.
thx