Re: New Website proposal (mockup)

Just to say, those look really good. Nice one!

Rob.

On 4/29/06, Jonathon Jongsma <jonathon jongsma gmail com> wrote:
On 4/27/06, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> You should feel free, but try to restrict yourself to just changing the
> CSS and graphics, to keep the task simple for now.
>
> If you need to, of course, you can change the classes and IDs in the
> HTML, so you can do CSS things with them, if that's not too difficult.
>
> >   Do you just want a design update
> > or do you want an update and re-organization of the information at the
> > same time?
>
> Feel free to make suggestions, but I consider that a separate task.

Well, I was playing around with some design ideas and found I really
wanted to simplify and re-organize the page a bit.  So I thought I'd
throw a few ideas out for discussion.  It's just a rough gimp mockup
for now.  There's no actual html / css written yet.

http://download.gna.org/colorscheme/etc/gtkmm.org/gtkmm-mockup.png

I figured that although the website is for gtkmm, glibmm, and gnomemm,
the main focus is really gtkmm, so that's why it's sort of
'highlighted' in blue in my mockup.  In addition, I'm assuming that
the most common action for website visitors will be downloading gtkmm,
so I have a large download button on the front page.  I also made a
simplified header bar that will be used on all pages to replace the
current sidebar.  The header bar has just a few broad categories
instead of a relatively long list of really specific items that we
currently have in the sidebar.  The idea is that some of these
specific links might be moved off of the front page menu into a
subpage -- I'm not exactly sure yet, these are just initial thoughts.

I tried to keep the basic color scheme, but it's slightly modified
(i.e. there's a new light blue and a light brown / tan), and the
'logo' is not used at all in the mockup.  I just couldn't find a good
place to fit it in.  If people want to keep it though, I can try to
find some way to use it. I also incorporated a few enlarged
tango-style icons into the design, though I'm not completely sure
about those yet...  The idea is that the big icon in the upper-right
will be different depending on what page of the website you're on.
For example, the download page might look something like this:

http://download.gna.org/colorscheme/etc/gtkmm.org/gtkmm-mockup-downloads.png

So I'm hoping to get some feedback.  Feel free to be as critical as
you want, the more specific the better.  I won't start implementing
anything until there appears to be at least a rough consensus.

Thanks,
Jonner