Gtk::TreeStore question

In all *my* applications that display Gtk::TreeStore objects in Gtk::TreeView widgets display a triangular shaped "carat" that points to the right if the parent item is unexpanded and points downwards if it is expanded. I see plenty of other applications running on my desktop that display "plus" (+) and "minus" (-) signs instead of the carats. Since different applications run both ways under the same desktop manager, I'm wondering how I can get the "plus" - "minus" version. Any ideas guys?

Thanks,

Bob Caryl