Re: Displaying console output

On Apr 21, 2008, at 8:12 PM, Thomas Rosario wrote:

Hi All,

I'm trying to build a GUI to show console output of an existing application. What I've done is 'clicked' signal_connect from Gtk2::Button will execute the application and save the output into a Gtk2::TextBuffer which will be displayed in Gtk2::TextView.

At the moment, if the button is pressed, the whole GUI will 'freeze' and after the application execution is finished, the complete output is displayed. My question is, how can it be done so textview will be updated in real time with the console output instead of waiting the whole execution to be finished.

You need to use a pipe-open to read the output of your helper program from a child process.

How do i keep my GUI updating while doing a long file read?
http://live.gnome.org/GTK2-Perl/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#head-20b1c1d3a92f0c61515cb88d15e06b686eba6cbc

--
It's all very complicated and would take a scientist to explain it.
  -- MST3K