Re: [OT] re-hosting X apps

muppet wrote:
there's probably a more appropriate place for this, but you guys are likely to be X users, so it couldn't hurt...

X is better than VNC for speed and efficiency[1]. VNC is better than X because you can disconnect on one machine, run over to another, and get exactly the same apps. with X, you have to shut down the app on one server and start it on the other.

or do you?

is there any way[2] to move running X apps from one display to another? it would seem that the technical side of it is only marginally different from moving windows around on multi-head displays...

[1] well, unless you start talking about client-side alpha and antialiasing and such... [2] yeah, i could always start my apps on Xvnc and just connect to that, but... that really sucks. i want a pure-X solution.

I think xmove does what you want. I've never used it before though.

ftp://ftp.cs.columbia.edu/pub/xmove/

James