pango doesn't render non-Latin characters with cairo-quartz-font

Hello. I maintain cairo and pango in MacPorts, and I have a report from a user that when cairo-quartz-font is in use, pango doesn't render non-Latin characters (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Tibetan). When cairo-quartz-font is turned off (i.e. when cairo- quartz-font.pc is deleted and pango is rebuilt), these characters show up.

The reporter was using Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) with cairo 1.6.4 and pango 1.20.3. I can confirm the issue with Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger) on Intel with cairo 1.6.4 and pango 1.20.5.

Here is the detailed bug report that was filed with MacPorts:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15626

I don't know if this is a cairo bug or a pango bug. I thought I'd start by asking the pango list. Please let me know if you think I should ask the cairo list instead. Thanks.