Re: GZip{In,Out}putStream in GIO?

2009/7/31 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel kamstrup gmail com>:
> 2009/7/31 Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org>:
>> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 02:48:47PM +0200, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been eye balling the GIO docs for a while without finding
>>> in-/output for gzip compression... So if I missed it stop me now :-)
>>>
>>> From the looks of it, it should be straight forward to write
>>> GZip{In,Out}putStream classes based on zlib[1]. If I write these
>>> classes would a zlib dep. be OK for GIO? It is pretty ubiquitous as
>>> far as I can tell (and it is already a depency of Gtk+)... And I am
>>> not really all that keen on writing my own gzip/DEFLATE implementation
>>> (to say the least).
>>>
>>> Another thing is the naming. Since this is not about supporting the
>>> Zip archive format (but that would be nice too) the name GZip*Stream
>>> might be bad. On the other hand i abhor the ALLCAPS GZIPInputStream
>>> used in fx. Java. What about GGZip*Stream - eeek!?
>>>

>> libgsf has all these, along with a gio wrapper.
>
> I assume you mean:
> http://projects.gnome.org/libgsf/gsf-Compression.html? I could not
> find the GIO wrapper in the documentation (assuming that it is
> unreleased yet?). Anyways - my question is really if this
> functionality should not be in GLib/GIO?

I sort of like the proposal.
Cairo and libpng depends on zlib and there's no Win32 API to replace
it so the implementation would be fully cross platform it's very basic
functionality IMHO and having it in a GIO wrapper would be awesome.
I'd love to see BZip2/7zip/Tar/rar/... wrappers somewhere else in the
platform though (and kill most of the file-roller codebase for that
matter).

Only downside from my point of view is that in Windows this would mean
yet another .dll to distribute.