Re: Complaint of the Slovak coordinator

> Od: "Mattias Põldaru" <mahfiaz gmail com>
> Komu: Jiri Eischmann <jiri eischmann centrum cz>
> CC: gnome-i18n <gnome-i18n gnome org>, gnome-sk-list <gnome-sk-list gnome org>
> Datum: 17.05.2010 10:49
> Předmět: Re: Complaint of the Slovak coordinator

>Although, somewhat interesting is what helix84 says: "I would not agree
>to Marcel staying the only commiter, in any case", which sounds much
>like a personal issue to me. Is this true even if Marcel is willing to
>change the work model? According to some steps he has already taken, he
>may be willing to. But in the end, we always should put our personal
>feelings and concerns aside and think how to get the work done.

I think there is nothing personal. Or it depends on how we define a personal issue. The problem is that other translators have tried to change the unsatisfying situation several times. As far as I know there has been tendency to change it for quite a long time, but a serious debate started 5 months ago when one translator proposed changing the coordinator. Marcel allowed some incremental changes, but they didn't solve the issue. Translation percentage is still falling down, there is still a high number of translations waiting for comitting, the time between uploading a translation to Vertimus and reaching the git is still too long. Marcel has been forced to propose some new changes by opening this topic here. Other translators do not believe they change anything. I understand Slovak quite well so I went through the proposed rules and IMHO it's just bureaucracy at its best which I would not mind that much, but what I would mind is that it doesn't solve the issue at all. The is
 sue is that the current way doesn't work. Most translators have realised it and they want a significant move from the authoritative cathedral way to more democratic bazaar way. And because Marcel doesn't want to make any compromises in this way they realised there was no other way than to change him.
So if you define a personal issue as a situation when people want to change a person because they stopped believing it would ever work with that person because he/she doesn't want to make any actual changes then it's personal.
You might not understand some translators' feelings, but there were tons of discussions within the team before bringing it up to gnome-i18n. I followed them passively. And sometimes, it was like tilting at windmills. And after that, there is simply lack of trust.

Jiri