Re: [gpm] =?iso-8859-2?q?ACPI_S1_-_Standby?=

> > As I wrote - cold down, warm up and especially
> > electric current
> > > peaks, capacitors  charge/discharge, ...  at
> > On/Off.
> >
> I'm an electrical engineering graduate.

If so, then you should know, that I'm right!
Or do you mean, that On/Off-s do not stress HW ?

(If you will say "do not", then ...)

> > Just let us the choice, please!
>
> You are free to modify the code if you want to.
> I'm free to choose to
> disagree and ship something else.

That's the point. If [gpm] would be only one of 10 possibilities of
1 of 10 authors, then you where right. But [gpm] is probably the
only one alternative in GNOME and not all (me inclusive) are able to
modify code and that every time if comes new version.

That is the reason why you should be more open for other views.
It is unfortunately not yours case. I'm sorry.

> If we added  every option and profile ...

It must not be all available by default - but configurable if
wanted.

BTW - S4 is available even if cryptswap !  Would be not better to
offer working S1 instead of failing S4 ?
And what about "pm-suspend-hybrid" -is it also not useful in yours
eyes ?

That is the problem with you. You think, that yours view is The only
one correct.
Sorry - but it isn't.

> Do you mean GPM uses the "off" state for DPMS
> rather than other modes
> like "suspend"? You can modify that in GConf if
> you so desire.

No - I mean:
I thing that screensaver just blank screen (fill it with 0x000000) -
not switch off H/V sync.
Or it should ? And DPMS it use not at all.  Screensaver!

[gpm] uses DPMS correctly, but just at S3. It offers no function to
sleep monitor (or I don't know how)  and lets me not put my monitors
into sleep - like with "xset dpms force off".

How to do that systemically (without hack)?

--kapetr