[gpm] gpm problems (FC12)

I've recently upgraded from FC11 and, as usual, some things are better
and some are worse.
One thing I've noticed is that when I unplug this machine (a laptop)
and then plug it in again, I often see a rather dim screen.
I click on the battery icon and go to preferences and see a slider
for display brightness, set to about 80, and by moving it, even
down to 79, I restore the desired brightness.
I imagine I've broken some configuration, possibly in the upgrade
but I don't even know where to look for this problem.
I notice that /var/log/pm-powersave.log has a write date corresponding
to when I plugged in the machine and contains only this:
 /usr/lib64/pm-utils/power.d/sched-powersave false: **sched policy powersave OFF
 success.
I'd have expected to see a whole sequence of events (with timestamps).

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any info on what might cause that behavior,
where to look for related config info, and how to fix this and similar
issues.