Re: [gpm] Merge inhibit applet with GPM?

On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 16:21 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> 2009/9/8 Pramod Dematagoda <pmd lotr gandalf gmail com>:
> > Since you were taking the time to reply, I decided to try and implement
> > my idea myself, and I have completed it. I have attached the patches for
> > your review. :)
>
> I don't think this will work well with the GNOME goals of reducing the
> visual clutter from the default panel -- I've not used a manual
> inhibit in quite some time now, and I hope that all the applications
> that need to inhibit are now ported to gnome-session, so they "just
> work".
>
> Richard.

I was intending on implementing it by showing the menu entry to inhibit
the session only if the user wants it. The default would be disabled
which means that there won't be any extra clutter in the g-p-m popup
menu. I didn't include(or write) the code related to the option because
I wanted to know if the feature would be worth implementing at all.

About the applications, I do agree that the proper way is that they
support inhibiting the session automatically via gnome-session, but
there are applications that can't or won't do this, examples being KDE
applications, proprietary applications like the Adobe Flash Player and
CLI applications like make(as Ted Gould suggested). So an option of
manually inhibiting the session through an entry in the popup menu of
g-p-m might be viable. In anycase, an entry in the popup menu would
cause less clutter than a separate applet to do the same thing. :)

Cheers,
Pramod