Re: [gpm] Merge inhibit applet with GPM?

On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 16:21 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> 2009/9/8 Pramod Dematagoda <pmd lotr gandalf gmail com>:
> > Since you were taking the time to reply, I decided to try and implement
> > my idea myself, and I have completed it. I have attached the patches for
> > your review. :)
>
> I don't think this will work well with the GNOME goals of reducing the
> visual clutter from the default panel -- I've not used a manual
> inhibit in quite some time now, and I hope that all the applications
> that need to inhibit are now ported to gnome-session, so they "just
> work".

While I agree with you on the goal here, the reason that I've used the
manual inhibit in the past was with command line stuff.  Things like a
long compile that I leave when I go to bed.

I had made a small script that we shipped for a while that was a command
line wrapper -- but I never ported it to gnome-session when the inhibit
stuff moved.  Even with that, I have found cases where I needed manual
inhibit (mostly when I forgot to run the script).

I think that adding inhibit as a menu item in a menu that already
exists, does not increase visual clutter significantly as it's already
hidden in most cases behind the menu.  (which is what I believe this
patch does)

		--Ted