[gpm] laptop suspending on lid close while on AC

I have a Toshiba Tecra M9 which since updating to Ubuntu Karmic has this
strange problem where it will suspend when the lid is closed and the AC
is plugged if the lid close happens before anyone has logged into a
desktop session.

So to clarify steps to reproduce:

1. boot laptop with lid open
2. wait for boot to complete
3. but before logging into the gnome desktop...
4. close the lid
5. watch it suspend
6. open lid
7. watch it resume

It seems important that this be done only before logging in a user.
After a user is logged in, presumably starting gpm fixes up whatever the
problem is and closing the lid while AC power is available does not
suspend the laptop, as expected.

Maybe this is not a gpm problem directly but a) I suspect even if it's
not, like the folks here know what the problem is or b) they will know
where I should take this problem to next.

Cheers!

b.