Re: [gpm] Problem forcing monitor to standby

> Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:54:24 +0100
> Subject: Re: [gpm] Problem forcing monitor to standby
> From: hughsient gmail com
> To: alweiner7 hotmail com
> CC: gnome-power-manager-list gnome org
>
> On 30/07/2009, Allen Weiner <alweiner7 hotmail com> wrote:
> > My multiboot desktop PC runs Fedora 11 and Ubuntu 9.04. The PC has an LCD
> > monitor and a GeForce 6200 graphics card. On both Fedora and Ubuntu I use
> > the proprietary nvidia driver provided by the distro.
>
> The proprietary drivers are not provided by Fedora, and really, they
> are unsupported.

What I meant by this is I use the nvidia driver from the rpmfusion repository, the standard (unofficial) Fedora repo for proprietary items, as opposed to obtaining the nvidia driver from the nvidia web site.

> > I just started using Fedora-Gnome. When I run this script under
> > Fedora-Gnome, the monitor goes into standby for about two minutes and then
> > turns back on. Why is the monitor coming back on under Fedora-Gnome? The
> > monitor does the same thing if I issue the xset dpms force standby from a
> > terminal.
>
> I'm not sure. You could try running:
>
> killall gnome-power-manager
> gnome-power-manager --verbose
>
> and see if gnome-power-manager causes events when the monitor wakes
> up. It could also be an X bug, or even a nvidia bug.
>
> > Also, if I use the menu option to exit Fedora-Gnome, and I select "suspend",
> > the system ignores my request.
>
> Sounds like your system doesn't support suspend. Arguably, it's also a
> bug where the suspend menu item is displayed in this case.
>
> > [aweiner localhost Documents]$ lshal | grep can_suspend
> > power_management.can_suspend = false (bool)
> > power_management.can_suspend_hybrid = false (bool)
> > power_management.can_suspend_to_disk = true (bool)
> > power_management.can_suspend_to_ram = false (bool)
>
> According to HAL your system doesn't support suspending. What's the
> output of "cat /sys/power/state" ?

[aweiner localhost Documents]$ cat /sys/power/state
standby disk

> Richard.

Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web. Try Bing™ now