Re: [gpm] [Patch] Remove the icon attachment when showing the battery capacity warning

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 15:56 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Pramod Dematagoda
> <pmd lotr gandalf gmail com> wrote:
> > Hello again, just wondering if I could get some feedback related to the
> > patch I sent. Is the patch bad or am I doing things the wrong way by
> > submitting patches here? I would just really appreciate some sort of
> > reply here.:)
>
> Sorry for the late reply -- your original message fell through the cracks.
>
> Your patch isn't correct to play with the pointers like that -- a much
> better fix would be to work out why the notification is pointing at
> the correct thing, and to fix notification-daemon. It's probably best
> to test Fedora 11 first, to see if the bug has already been fixed.
> Thanks.
>
> Richard.

Hello Richard,

I am already on Fedora 11 with all updates applied, so the problem is
still there. About the patch in general, I agree that the patch is
something I am a little unsure of as well.

But the situation is this, this notification is being shown when GNOME
starts loading, and in my laptop, this is when there is nothing visible
in the screen at all apart from the wallpaper, so the notification gets
attached to an icon which does not seem to exist at that time, which
probably explains why the notification is just seen floating instead of
showing up somewhere sensible. So this problem may not necessarily be
something wrong with notification-daemon but with the issue that GPM
shows the notification just too quickly to be attached to a present
icon. If you could suggest what would be best in this case, I'll see
what I can do. :)

Regards,
Pramod Dematagoda