Re: [gpm] gnome-power-manger-2.26.0 suspend and hibernate

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:47:54 +0000
Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 01:07 +0000, Chris Vine wrote:
> > How do gpm-2.26/DeviceKit-power do it - do they invoke
> > the /sys/power/state kernel interface directly?)
>
> No, it invokes pm-suspend and pm-hibernate. If you need to do things
> at suspend and resume time you need to write a standard hook in
> pm-utils, rather than hack at the HAL script.
>
> Richard.

Richard,

That's a shame, because pm-utils do not play very well with my laptop
for some reason.  I can hibernate once with pm-hibernate, but then it
refuses to hibernate again (it ignores further hibernation requests)
for a reason it does not trouble itself to log.

I have my own scripts which unload any modules required and then
invoke the kernel interface, and that works fine.  I can hibernate and
suspend as many times as I like that way.  Since I do not set the
HIBERNATE_MODE environmental variable pm-utils should work similarly,
but for some reason it does not.

If I wanted to change the hard wiring of gnome-power-manager to pm-utils
for my own private use, what would I need to patch - is this in
gnome-power-manager or DeviceKit-power?

Chris