[gpm] deal with BIOS that changes the backlight

Hello, I have an HP laptop and the BIOS automatically sets the
brightness to 0% when I remove the AC, and sets it back to 100% when
plugging in the AC.
gnome-power-manager cannot deal with this type of BIOS:
1) when this happens the brightness applet does not get updated
2) there should be a way to overwrite this behavior

for step 2 I've also tried to enable the option "battery_reduce" and
brightness_dim_battery=1 (also tried with 0) but the BIOS does the
brightness change after gnome-power-manager.
There should be a way to fix all bad BIOSes

Have you got any suggestions?
Thanks