[gpm] Unexpectedly low battery life

Hi,

I've noticed a large drop in battery life performance since I switched
from Ubuntu 7.10 to a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 (both 32 bit and 64
bit versions). The Power Manager tool has highlighted a massive problem
with the battery capacity being capped at 59% (full stats are below).

How is this number calculated? Is it possible something deep inside the
OS is misreading the charge of my battery? The loss of capacity somewhat
correlates with the drop in performance I have observed.

Thanks,
Steve

Battery details after a full charge:
Product: DELLUD2606