Re: [gpm] Sound Event Control

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 08:42 -0700, Ted Gould wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So I've gotten the request for finer-grained sound event control in GPM.
> Which makes sense.  The code is nicely contained in gpm-sound.c, so it
> should be an easy patch... the question comes down to how should it be
> implemented.  A GConf boolean for each sound event (lid close, open,
> etc.)?  A key that has the path to the sound file so potentially someone
> could change it later? (with some way to signify "none")

I'd really really hate to see this the preferences UI polluted with
options like these. Also, throwing options at a problem is rarely the
right solution; my understanding is that g-p-m only make audible noise
on error conditions. Or did the feature-creep-monster change that at
some point?

Also, there's a fair bit of work being planned about how sound events
are going to work in the future in GNOME (see the desktop-devel-list
archives) and each app hardcoding the file names is, IIRC, not part of
it (we want themable sound events name for starters so we at least have
*some* chance of sorting our the sound events mess).

    David