Re: [gpm] Is there any way to run g-p-m outside session?

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 18:12 +0800, simon zheng sun com wrote:
> Please allow me introduce power management cases on Solaris. Currently,
> Solaris has its own PM framework, which consists of a system daemon and
> some configuration GUI. But they're very old and less flexible than HAL
> & G-P-M. Without system daemon, G-P-M can't replace current PM framework
> entirely. Now I'm thinking how to put them into together on Solaris.

Yes, I think you need a hybrid approach by the sounds of things.

> > The plan for multiple sessions is to use ConsoleKit to detect the active
> > session and only try to control the active session when we are in
> > control. At the moment HAL refuses us if we try to do, but it would make
> > sense for the non-active g-p-m instances to unload as much as possible,
> > just to reduce memory usage and load.
>
> To be honest, I'm new to GonsoleKit. How does it run g-p-m instance if
> no session on machine, e.g. when system just starts?

Well, the idea is to run gnome-power-manager headless (i.e. without GUI)
in the gdm window.

> > Have you any ideas on how this would work with multiple sessions on Sun?
> > Do you guys plan on shipping ConsoleKit?
>
> Sorry, I'm not sure. In fact, Solaris lags behind many other OSs in this
> aspect. AFAIK, some colleagues are working on virtual console project. I
> think ConsoleKit or similar tool is necessary for them.

Yes, it sounds like you guys would benefit greatly using ConsoleKit.

> In addition, I notice Solaris PM framework can switch off hard drive
> when idleness. Windows also supplies the simaliar feature. Will G-P-M
> support it later?

Yes it will, except the linux ata subsystem is reluctant to put the
bits-and-bobs in sysfs, as I really want to do this properly without
using hdparm and sdparm.