Re: [gpm] Is there any way to run g-p-m outside session?

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 09:29 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 15:22 +0800, simon.zheng wrote:
> > I'm a developer of Java Desktop System (based on Gnome and Mozilla) on
> > Solaris. G-P-M is such a cool tool and responsible for everything power
> > aware. You did a really great job.:) So I want to port it to Solaris if
> > possible.
>
> Sure, sounds good - thanks for the praise!
>
> > At present, I meet some problems. One is that G-P-M is subject to a
> > session daemon and only available after user logs in. You know,
> > sometimes no user logs in console for a long time or there are multi
> > sessions running on machine. In these cases, a system daemon would be
> > quite useful. Do you have any plan to extend G-P-M to system wide? Or is
> > ConsoleKit useful for this?
>
> A system daemon no (for multiple reasons) but using ConsoleKit yes.

Please allow me introduce power management cases on Solaris. Currently,
Solaris has its own PM framework, which consists of a system daemon and
some configuration GUI. But they're very old and less flexible than HAL
& G-P-M. Without system daemon, G-P-M can't replace current PM framework
entirely. Now I'm thinking how to put them into together on Solaris.

> The plan for multiple sessions is to use ConsoleKit to detect the active
> session and only try to control the active session when we are in
> control. At the moment HAL refuses us if we try to do, but it would make
> sense for the non-active g-p-m instances to unload as much as possible,
> just to reduce memory usage and load.

To be honest, I'm new to GonsoleKit. How does it run g-p-m instance if
no session on machine, e.g. when system just starts?

> Have you any ideas on how this would work with multiple sessions on Sun?
> Do you guys plan on shipping ConsoleKit?

Sorry, I'm not sure. In fact, Solaris lags behind many other OSs in this
aspect. AFAIK, some colleagues are working on virtual console project. I
think ConsoleKit or similar tool is necessary for them.

In addition, I notice Solaris PM framework can switch off hard drive
when idleness. Windows also supplies the simaliar feature. Will G-P-M
support it later?

-Simon