Re: [gpm] Is there any way to run g-p-m outside session?

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 15:22 +0800, simon.zheng wrote:
> I'm a developer of Java Desktop System (based on Gnome and Mozilla) on
> Solaris. G-P-M is such a cool tool and responsible for everything power
> aware. You did a really great job.:) So I want to port it to Solaris if
> possible.

Sure, sounds good - thanks for the praise!

> At present, I meet some problems. One is that G-P-M is subject to a
> session daemon and only available after user logs in. You know,
> sometimes no user logs in console for a long time or there are multi
> sessions running on machine. In these cases, a system daemon would be
> quite useful. Do you have any plan to extend G-P-M to system wide? Or is
> ConsoleKit useful for this?

A system daemon no (for multiple reasons) but using ConsoleKit yes.

The plan for multiple sessions is to use ConsoleKit to detect the active
session and only try to control the active session when we are in
control. At the moment HAL refuses us if we try to do, but it would make
sense for the non-active g-p-m instances to unload as much as possible,
just to reduce memory usage and load.

Have you any ideas on how this would work with multiple sessions on Sun?
Do you guys plan on shipping ConsoleKit?