Re: [gpm] Usability bug: minimum of timeout sliders set to screensaver time out + 1

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 13:23 +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I actually found it weird that the minimum time for blanking the
> screen was 11 minutes. Later on I discovered this was caused by
> gnome-screensaver which was set to 10 minutes and that gpm uses 10+1
> as a minimum

Yes a few people have said this.

> I understand that it does not make sense to start the screensaver
> after blanking the screen or putting the computer to sleep, but the
> current behavior is very confusing. I wanted to set the blanking time
> to 5 minutes but the minimum was 11 and I did not have any clue what I
> should do to get it to 5.

It is explained in the help file, but I do appreciate that users do not
usually read help files.

> IMHO the sliders of gpm it would be less confusing to not let time out
> sliders in gpm depend on timeout settings of gnome screensaver.

I originally had this in 2.14.x IIRC. I got emails and bugs saying that
"I set g-p-m to blank after 10 minutes and it took 20 minutes to turn
off my screen".

Ideas and feedback welcome on what the best long term thing to do is
here. Possibly increment the IdleTime dbus method as soon as we become
idle, rather than waiting until the session becomes idle. We would then
have to warn the user that the screensaver is never going to start as
the screen is blanked.

This also would change the Inhibit semantics as we are no longer waiting
for session idle.