Re: [gpm] gnome-power-manager

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 18:00 +0200, Daniele Medri wrote:
> Hi Richard,

Hey, sorry for the delay, this is the first time I've got five minutes
to answer email in about a week. Apologies.

> I was your first translator for gnome-power-manager in italian language.
> I have a feature request for your software: optional network check for
> other ups. This idea born reading Nut features:

Yes, I've been talking lots to Arnaud Quette about the new HAL
interfaces.

> http://www.networkupstools.org/
>
> Use Case:
> Daniele wants to check his two UPS in local area network. He click on
> "Share status information on network" in gnome-power-manager to share
> and retrieve info. In a different (new) tab he could find various ups
> and their status.

This would have to be done very carefully from a security POV. I'm
thinking less service-client model, more Avahi service model. Then we
don't have to get involved in IP issues and firewalls and stuff ;-)

> John is a sysadmin. In his cluster he enabled the gnome-power-manager
> feature to share status information. He will be glad to make some
> powerfull action like shutdown all computers from a central point.

Yes, this could be cool.

> Think about these ideas..

Thought. Can you bugzilla this please, and then we can talk details and
get some feedback. I hope you don't mind, I've cc'd the g-p-m list as
well.

Comments welcome,