Re: [gpm] CPU throttling based on CPU temperature

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 11:56 +0100, Arne John Glenstrup wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 11:26 +0100, Arne John Glenstrup wrote:
>
> >> Couldn't this feature also be possible via hald-addon-cpufreq
> >> and GNOME Power Manager?
> >
> > I don't think it belongs in the UI - it's not a typical use case. Also,
> > you've got to bear in mind it's difficult to identify and process the
> > cpu temperature on all architectures, and 100% reliably.
>
> OK---after a little more searching, I came across this thread,
> discussing how to get the thermal_zone data into HAL:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2006-November/006476.html

Yes, see my replies to that thread :-)

> When it gets committed, it would sure be nice to utilise it for noise
> prevention, as in the scenario I described previously.  Although
> perhaps not a typical use case, a checkbox and number field
>   "[x] keep CPU temperature below [__]�C to reduce fan noise"
> could seem like a nicely discreet option.

Yes, but complicated I agree.

> I realise that reality isn't quite that simple: what would a
> default temperature be?  How to handle unreliable temperature
> reportings, etc.?

Sure, agreed. Getting the sensor stuff into HAL and reported to
session-space might be the first step.

> OK, I won't spam this list with more wishes now,

Ohh please do - I'm open to new ideas - but g-p-m can't do everything
for everyone :-)