Re: [gpm] CPU throttling based on CPU temperature

Richard Hughes wrote:
On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 11:26 +0100, Arne John Glenstrup wrote:

Couldn't this feature also be possible via hald-addon-cpufreq
and GNOME Power Manager?

I don't think it belongs in the UI - it's not a typical use case. Also,
you've got to bear in mind it's difficult to identify and process the
cpu temperature on all architectures, and 100% reliably.

OK---after a little more searching, I came across this thread,
discussing how to get the thermal_zone data into HAL:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2006-November/006476.html

When it gets committed, it would sure be nice to utilise it for noise
prevention, as in the scenario I described previously.  Although
perhaps not a typical use case, a checkbox and number field
 "[x] keep CPU temperature below [__]°C to reduce fan noise"
could seem like a nicely discreet option.

I realise that reality isn't quite that simple: what would a
default temperature be?  How to handle unreliable temperature
reportings, etc.?

OK, I won't spam this list with more wishes now,

-- Arne
Arne Glenstrup