Re: [gpm] CPU throttling based on CPU temperature

Richard Hughes wrote:
On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 09:25 +0100, Arne John Glenstrup wrote:

Is there some way for me to set the CPU throttling based on
CPU temperature?

No - I think you need to do "modprobe cpufreq_conservative" or "modprobe
cpufreq_ondemand", and then the frequency will go up with processor
load. I'm not sure it's safe to do policy based on CPU temperature.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by safety here.  Currently,
I can manually use the cpuspeed daemon of the Fedora cpuspeed
package to keep my laptop running quietly on AC power, yet
still allowing high frequency bursts when the processor is cool.
This does not seem to cause any observable problems.

Couldn't this feature also be possible via hald-addon-cpufreq
and GNOME Power Manager?

-- Arne
Arne Glenstrup