[gpm] G-P-M: Suspend works! Hibernate (almost) works! Need help (please)

Hello,

    I've almost gotten HIBERNATE to work on my laptop but need some help for the last step.  Before I start, here are the basics:

Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop
nVIDIA GeForceGo2 16MB Video Card - (I'm using the nVIDIA 1.0-8776 Ubuntu nvidia-glx driver)
A PCMCIA wireless card Broadcom card is installed.
512 MB RAM - 1.44 GB SWAP
O/S: Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS (Dapper Drake) (all updates applied)
    - GPM: 2.3.14

Suspend-to-RAM

Complete suspension of machine and then what appears to be a “shutdown” of power, i.e. no power lights at all. Pressing the the power button allows the machine to come back and to it's state when suspend when initiated. Wireless, which on my laptop is a PCMCIA wireless Microsoft MN-720 card doesn't work. To make it work, I have to choose “Disable Networking” using the NetworkMangerApplet on the Panel, and the “Enable Networking” and the wireless comes back.

Suspend-to-DISK

This is ALMOST working. The machine looks as though it is going to hibernate and then at the very,very end, after the screen has blanked and been shutdown, and the sound cards have shtudown, USB has shutdown, PCMCIA has shutdown, and the HDD has stopped working the machine gets to what 'feels' like the final step where the power should shut down.  (I know hibernate works because it did when I used WindowsXP). Rather than the power going off, the power light stays on, but the HDD access light never comes back on. The machine is unresponsive, and the only way to bring it back is holding the power button down for about 5~8 seconds which kills the power, and then a hard restart.  This restarts the machine and all most stuff is lost. The desktop appears to behave as though there had been a power failure, in that some of the program that were running when HIBERNATE was initiated are resumed, but some of the data is lost.

I'm pretty sure I can getr this to work if I can solve this last stage problem.  I'm sure ACPI is trying to hibernate, but I think I need to tweak the "hibernate" script to kill the power after the sys-state, and then ensure that the hibernate script can re-find the saved sys-state on the swap?

Any ideas on the Suspend-to-DISK final stage, hanging problem?

Thanks,
Andor
Andor J Kiss
Department of Biological Sciences