Re: [gpm] Hard Drive Locking

I have a Dell Latitude D800 and I'd like to tell you a story.  When
this machine is put into suspend mode, it sometimes wakes up on its
own.  If it is moved or bumped, sometimes it turns on, even when it is
in the case.  From what I can gather, this is common to machines that
have the little lid switch (reed switch) that manually pops up and
down with the lid.

I called Dell tech support and they swore over and over that the
machine is functioning as intended, and that the Dell company never
ever expects anybody to move a machine while it is suspended, much
less put it in a case.  I've never had this problem with any other
brand of laptop and I found it quite ridiculous that Dell tech support
said it was normal, but  that

You did not tell about the sequence of events that leads to your
trouble, but I wonder if your system has the same problem, and it is
re-starting without you noticing it.  Possibly if it is in the case,
it might overheat, and then it automatically suspends itself before
you notice the trouble.  And then it is hard to restart because all
kinds of crap went wrong when it was in the case.    I'm only guessing
that because it happened to "my friend".

The other possibility is that when the movement makes the system
restart, then it causes something unexpected in the g-p-m or other
software.  Sometimes I've had it happen like this.  The machine
accidentally restarts. I open the lid and it tries to wake up. Before
I can do anything, the machine suspends itself again.  What the hell?
After that, opening the lid almost always results in a lockup.

I gave that computer to somebody with less seniority :)  Maybe you
will have the same option.

Or else, remember the Dell Edict "Never move a suspended computer".

Honestly, I'm not kidding.  That's their official position.

pj

On 5/29/06, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 09:31 -0600, Christopher Thompson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just to get the computer specifications out of the way, I have a Dell
> Inspiron 6400 with a beta copy of Ubuntu Dapper installed with
> up-to-date software packages as of May 26, 2006.

Sorry for the delay, just got back from a mini-holiday.

> When restoring from suspend mode, the computer exhibits hard-drive
> reading problems if the computer itself has been jostled somewhat while
> in suspend mode.

Jostled as in shaken? Sorry if I misunderstand you.

>   The computer then becomes unusable and must be
> powered-down and restarted.  Error messages on the console are what have
> lead me to believe that the issue is that the hard drive is not being
> locked (or not fully locked) when in suspend mode.  How would this be
> enabled?

Can you post the exact messages you get in the console please.

Thanks.