Re: [Pm-utils] Re: [gpm] offtopic: sleep nomenclature

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 08:12:05AM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:

> If you know of a project that's using the wrong name, or a distro, then

Well, i don't think here is a "right" or "wrong". It depends on the users
you target. And even non-technical users are not as stupid as one might
think.
My children (7 and 8 years) immediately knew what "suspend to RAM" and
"suspend to disk" meant. Of course they als know what "RAM" is.
But then, IMO computers _are_ things that you should have some minimal
knowledge about, otherwise you will screw up big time anyway.

> please open bugs to that component and make them aware they should be
> using suspend and hibernate (point them to the wiki page).

Assuming that these projects would agree with you :-)

And from a technical point of view, it does not really matter how the
HAL methods are named. They could be named "foo1" and "foo2" as long
as it is well documented that "foo1" does "suspend" and "foo2" does
"hibernate".
--
Stefan Seyfried                  \ "I didn't want to write for pay. I
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices      \ wanted to be paid for what I write."