[gpm] Re: offtopic: sleep nomenclature

On Friday 05 May 2006 07:43, Richard Hughes wrote:
> My views on the Suspend / Sleep / Hibernate / Standby / SuspendToX
> naming problems: http://live.gnome.org/GnomePowerManager/SleepNames
>
> Comments appreciated, but I don't want this to turn into a cross-list
> flame-fest. :-)

Ok. Silly comments first...

"Awww! :) No comment on silly names like "swsusp"?"

"Spose I'd better rename my patch to hibernate2 then."

And then more seriously, I like the idea of choosing names that the user will
understand, and appreciate the suspend-to-disk point, particularly when we're
working towards suspending to other things (flash, usb, network).

The second set doesn't seem right. The opposite of hibernate is wake (the bear
doesn't get frozen), and the oppostite of thaw is freeze. Which is probably
why we use the later for what we do to processes when hibernating the system.

Regards,

Nigel