Re: [gpm] hal/gnome-power-manager brightness control

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy week.

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 18:04 -1000, Alec Burney wrote:
> that's great news. i don't mind recompiling when the time comes, but
> in the meantime, i took a look at the fdi files, and it seems like
> they just point hal at the right scripts to execute, right?

Yes, and give the device a capability.

> as i
> mentioned before, i tried making the brightness scripts execute the
> correct operations, but g-p-m still doesn't control brightness. i'm
> guessing the g-p-m doesn't even try because lshal doesn't see the lcd.
> is there a way i can force hal to register a panel so that g-p-m will
> know that it should control brightness?

Yes, manually add a capability in the fdi file. Have a look in the
macbook pro file for how to do this.

> i'm not sure if i have the right idea here - i don't know how hal or
> g-p-m work, really. if you could point me to some relevant
> documentation, i'd gladly stop wasting your time.

Not wasting my time, don't worry. Hopefully soon this should Just Work
(tm) and you shouldn't have to configure anything.