Re: [gpm] Problem with GPM in Ubuntu Dapper

On 25/04/06, Brad Griffith <griffbrad gmail com> wrote:
> I'm running an up-to-date Ubuntu Dapper Beta with gnome-power-manager
> 2.14.0 on an IBM Thinkpad X40.  If I set the 'Running on Battery' 'When
> laptop lid is closed' action to Suspend, and remove my power cable, the
> machine suspends even if the lid is open.  The 'Put computer to sleep
> when it is inactive for' option is set to never.  Suspending from the
> battery icon or the logout menu works perfectly.
>     Does this sound like an Ubuntu bug, a g-p-m bug, or perhaps a
> problem with my hardware?

Well, hardware *and* g-p-m - this particualy bug is a bit of a saga,
although it has got lots of love in the last few days. It's quite
complex what was happening, but we've fixed it now.

>     I'd be glad to file this in the appropriate bugzilla, but I wanted
> to do a bit of preliminary investigation first to check if there was
> perhaps a known fix or any additional information needed in the bug
> report.

See http://live.gnome.org/GnomePowerManager/Faq

The short answer is:

* do the patch to HAL, and
* wait a few hours until g-p-m 2.14.3 is released.

Using the hal patch, and 2.14.3 will fix the problem. I promise!

>     Thanks for your help.  G-P-M is an awesome addition to GNOME.

Thanks!

Richard