[gpm] Problem with GPM in Ubuntu Dapper

I'm running an up-to-date Ubuntu Dapper Beta with gnome-power-manager
2.14.0 on an IBM Thinkpad X40.  If I set the 'Running on Battery' 'When
laptop lid is closed' action to Suspend, and remove my power cable, the
machine suspends even if the lid is open.  The 'Put computer to sleep
when it is inactive for' option is set to never.  Suspending from the
battery icon or the logout menu works perfectly.
    Does this sound like an Ubuntu bug, a g-p-m bug, or perhaps a
problem with my hardware?
    I'd be glad to file this in the appropriate bugzilla, but I wanted
to do a bit of preliminary investigation first to check if there was
perhaps a known fix or any additional information needed in the bug
report.
    Thanks for your help.  G-P-M is an awesome addition to GNOME.

Cheers,
Brad Griffith