[gpm] Re: Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 21:29 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 01:47:12PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
>
> > Since the original announcement mail about gnome-power-manager, we have
> > moved the mailing list to gnome.org, are now hosted on gnome.org, and am
> > starting to integrate with other parts of the GNOME application stack.
> > Lots of new functionality has been added, and lots of polish has been
> > applied. See the screenshots area of my website[5] for some cool
> > screenshots of the latest stuff in the 2-15 branch.
>
> I would like to see g-p-m fragmented into three parts.
>
>  * A daemon with no GTK+ dependance that would be suitable for
>    cross-desktop use
>  * A capplet (this exists today)
>  * A notification area icon (libnotify dependance goes here)
>
> This would allow us to more easily address integration issues with
> GNOME and other desktops and it means that we can aim at avoiding
> notification area pollution (because session initialised notification
> icons are a violation of all that is good and right).

since there is already a daemon (HAL and underlying power save software,
like pmu, powersave, etc), why do we need another daemon? I think the
current g-p-m architecture, with the 'daemon' being also the
notification icon makes a lot of sense. If adding the tray icon on
startup is wrong, then I guess we can easily delay the addition of the
icon, like we do with the typing break, for instance.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>