Re: [gnome-love] BOSS presentation tool upstreaming

Purpose:

boss presentation tool is based on keyjnote(python coding) and the use of it is to enhance the way we give presentations.It accepts pdf,ppt,doc files and opens it.We can use light pen effect,highlight some of the ponints by dragging the mouse of the text,see all the pages at a time and select which page we want to show,and last but not least Page transitions can be done.All these things can be done from one window and even time can be set for each page.Any videoconferencing,meeting,seminars we can use it without any bugs.

Target:

The module is being proposed for Desktop Application.

Dependencies:

The package dependency are:

    * Python 2.3, 2.4 or 2.5     — www.python.org (required)
    * PyOpenGL (the OpenGL binding for Python) — pyopengl.sourceforge.net (required)
    * PyGame (the SDL binding for Python) — www.pygame.org (required)
    * PIL, the Python Imaging Library — www.pythonware.com/products/pil (required)
    * Xpdf for PDF rendering — www.foolabs.com/xpdf/ (strongly recommended)
    * GhostScript for alternate PDF rendering — www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost (optional if Xpdf is present, strongly recommended     if it's not)
    * pdftk for retrieving PDF metadata (page titles, hyperlinks) — www.accesspdf.com/pdftk (optional, recommended)
    * xdg-utils for starting web or e-mail hyperlinks from PDF documents — portland.freedesktop.org (optional, not         required on Win32)
    * MPlayer for sound and video playback — www.mplayerhq.hu (optional)

Resource usage:

GNOME SVN, GNOME bugzilla will be used for tar ball hosting

Adoption:

Bharat Operating System Solutions has boss presentation tool inbuilt.Links:
http://packages.bosslinux.in/boss/pool/anant/main/b/boss-presentation-tool/
https://launchpad.net/bosspresentationtool/
http://code.google.com/p/bosspresentationtool/
https://developer.berlios.de/projects/bosskeyjnote/

GNOME-ness, community:

BOSS presentation tool application is part of BOSS operating system.BOSS acronym for Bharat Operating system solutions is the work of C-DAC,Chennai,india.The operating system is based on Debian and has all the GPL licensed packages.http://bosslinux.in is the correct location to get more information on BOSS.BOSS has been implemented in major government organisations in full fledge and BOSS developers and support team are throughout the C-DAC centers in India.We have our own forum,mailing lists and repository and website.

Miscellaneous:

To give more information on the package usage on BOSS

http://news.softpedia.com/news/BOSS-Linux-44080.shtml
https://www.linux-foundation.org/lsb-cert/productdir.php?by_lsb
http://groups.google.com/group/lug-indore/msg/11bbe901e462131d

Regars