Re: [gnome-love] New GnomeGoal

David Farning a écrit :
On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 02:31 +0200, Luis Menina wrote:
Well, first of all, thanks for your contribution to the AppIcon goal, David !

You are a welcome.  I think I have gone as far as I can with the
AppIcons goal for now.  Most of the remaining modules have something
more involved that will probably require discussion.

Yeah. That's why also I removed your colored goal status: it's very dificult to complete a goal in its reserved timeframe. But unachieved goals can become a good playground for future newcommers. Instructions are still there, and looking at the patches other people sent will make it easier. For now, the more important is to keep the goals running at a steady pace.

So for those who have read this long email, which one do you prefer, so we can improve it a bit, before turning it an official goal ?

The AboutDialog goal would be another good goal for me personally.

That's what I think too. Moreover, migration to GTK 2.10 can give great GNOME Goals. I did for Ekiga the GnomeAbout -> GtkAboutDialog and the EggStatusIcon -> GtkStatusIcon which give some clearly defined goals. It helps to give some desktop-wide consistency, and removes the need for copied/pasted implementations of these (which lowers the memory footprint).

So, unless someone disagrees, the next goal will be:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/AboutDialog

I will in a day or two send a mail to announce this new goal.

Vuntz, could you please tell me if it's acceptable practice to cross post desktop-devel-list to announce the new GNOME Goal, or some other mailing list I may not be aware of ? I only saw two contributors on the last one (David and Brian), so we need to communicate better about this, and improve our visibility. If someone aggregated on planet.gnome.org could forward the announce when it's done, it would be great too.

Luis, It would be pretty handy to either include point of contact link
for either you or gnome-love on the gnome goals page.  The biggest
problem I have had (besides the fact that all the jhbuild documentation
still points to cvs) getting involved with gnome is figuring out the
right place to ask questions.

Damned jhbuild doc... I stated to put some in the wiki, but didn't put it in public space:
http://live.gnome.org/LuisMenina/JhbuildGuide

But it's good you pointed out that were're lacking contact information for GNOME Goals. I've added it right now.

No offense taken on removing the distcheck goal.  As I started looking
into it further it stated getting harder and harder.

Thanks
David Farning

Thanks for your help and your great comments, we just need motivated people like you to keep some good stuff happening!